Thursday 12 June 2014

Impressions at the end

This TLLP was a great experience for me. I was of the mind that comics were for 'little boys' and that graphic novels were better suited for the audience at ComicCon - I just didn't see them in a school setting. After implementing the graphic novel version of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with my Essential level students, I could not have been more wrong. If you treat the text (even a comic!) as an academic piece of literature then you can help students learn all of the terms and strategies that they need. I am excited to continue finding engaging material that will interest my students. They have already been through all the comics that have been made available for leisure reading - now I am looking for new ways to find more! This project has proven to engage students, but what really suprised me was how much I was motivated by the new material. I still wouldn't call myself a 'comic book person' but just seeing how much the students are interested in texts makes me want to find source material for them. I would encourage anyone to look to their students when trying to find some new energy and material. Let their interests guide you. If the learners are engaged then the teacher will naturally be more motivated and the classroom will be a happier place for everyone - that sounds pretty good to me! Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment